Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Slept!

I'm happy to report that I did not jinx myself last night, and I actually had a really quiet night and got some sleep. It helped that it had been so crazy for the few days leading up to yesterday that all our beds (including the extra bed that is supposed to always be open in case of emergency) were full. So there was literally nowhere to put anyone, and anyone who needed ICU care had to be admitted elsewhere. Not so good for them, perhaps, but at least I got some rest (which is, after all, what being a doctor is all about...0r something like that!). I'm told that the international standard of care in ICU is for it to be operating at no more than 85% capacity. We're almost always 100%, and sometimes more than that. Go figure!

So after a few ZZZs this morning after I got home, I was able to get up and study. Which is good, because my Canadian licensing exam is on Oct 28 (less than 2 weeks away), and I'm on call Friday and Sunday of this weekend, so there won't be much studying happening then. Turns out that the studying I did for the US exam isn't helping me as much as I thought it would for this upcoming exam. They're testing the same concepts, but in such a different way that what I focused on for the US exam isn't really relevant to this one, and what I didn't focus on IS relevant. So it's a bit annoying, but I suppose ultimately it means I will have studied much more broadly than those only taking one exam or the other, and in the long run, that's a good thing, since this is actually about my knowledge and skills as a doctor, and not really about passing an exam.

Better get back to it.