Sunday, June 3, 2007

Doogie Howser

Inevitably at least once a week someone will ask or comment on my age. The nice ones say something along the lines of "That's great that you're a doctor when you're so young." Others will suggest that I must be lying, since I couldn't possibly be a doctor since I'm so young. Or they'll just say, "But you're so young." If I have my wits about me I'll come back with some sort of comment about how I use Oil of Olay, and then change the subject fairly quickly.

I've had several patients who have seemed quite hostile at first, because they don't think one so young should be looking after them. I can appreciate their hesitation to a point. They usually respond pretty well, though, as I continue to act professional, and answer their questions, explain what is going on, etc. Several times, by the end of my interaction(s) with them, they will thank me very sincerely and I can tell that I've won their trust. I guess you have to work a little harder to earn trust when you don't have the wrinkles and grey hairs and the look of experience about you. Fair enough. No need to try to speed up that process, especially since I'm sure residency is doing that for me already!

Sometimes people try to guess my age. Usually they guess I'm anywhere between about 19 and 21. I want to ask them what they can possibly be thinking, but usually I just change the subject. I often think of really smart remarks after the subject has changed, so that I almost want to go back over the scene. I'd like to say I'm another Doogie Howser. Or my favourite, which I've been saving for awhile, but haven't remembered to use it yet, is something along the lines of, "No, I'm not 19. I'm 19-and-a-half!" Someday...

There's only one person who's guessed it bang on so far, and he was one I would have rather was way off. He was the kind of guy you want to bring a nurse or some sort of chaperone in with you when you're seeing him, because those are the kinds of vibes he was sending off. I just didn't pick up on those vibes quite quickly enough. Nothing happened, thank the Lord, but next time I'll listen to those feelings. It's just better that way. Anyways, he asked me how old I was, and when I told him it was none of his business, he proceeded to guess my age bang-on. I didn't tell him he was right, but I did get myself out of there even more quickly than I already wanted to. He's obviously spent a lot of time studying young women! Gave me the creeps.

I know I'm pretty young to be a doctor. Not ridiculously so - I didn't skip any grades or anything. But I went through the process about as quickly as I could have. And I guess that's a good thing. It's just that when you're working in a profession like this, it helps when people take you seriously. Fortunately it usually isn't anything that professional, compassionate, and knowledgeable behaviour doesn't take care of. There are a lot of older docs who lack some of these qualities!

The resident I've been having some issues with spoke with me on Friday to thank me for being so supportive and helpful to her. She said she knew I was carrying a lot of responsibility, and that I was doing a good job. She said I helped her feel comfortable and part of the team. Praise the Lord, but boy, was I convicted of my attitude! The issues did need to be addressed - I wasn't convicted about that. But my heart stinks! Have mercy, Lord!