Today was a pretty sad and emotionally intense day. The guy I admitted the other night (the one I was waiting for when I wrote in my blog) died today. Then we had an 18-year-old girl come in braindead from a bad car accident. And we spoke with the family of another woman, who had come in Friday night (also when I was on call) after a car accident with a really bad head injury, and they decided to withdraw life support, so she will die, too.
A woman in her 50s who had a major bleed in her brain from an aneurysm is also not doing well - deteriorated today. And a sweet 80-year-old lady who had been getting much better and was looking like she might be able to come out of the ICU soon started having bad things happen with her heart. Our 17-year-old guy who was in a car accident several weeks ago and also had a bad head injury developed a really bad infection that may be affecting his heart. And I had a long chat with a 65-year-old woman who has been with us for awhile and was being transferred out of ICU. She's physically doing much better, but was very emotionally distraught because she's been through so much and didn't think she could do it anymore. Add to that the fact that her illness has left her a bit confused, paranoid, and with some hallucinations (like the fact that George is at her bedside trying to poison her with pills), and she's even more upset.
The ICU is like this sometimes. People are very sick, and come to us when they'd die without, well, intensive care. So it's expected that these sorts of days will happen. But it seemed like there was a lot more packed into one day than we've really had before.
So...I'm a little worn out! Overall, though, I'm much less grumpy than I was this morning. Man, this morning, I thought I was going to snap at everyone for everything! I think the post-weekend call business was catching up to me. There was grace, though, and despite all that transpired through the day, I think I'm okay.
A week from now I'll have had my surgery and be popping the T#3's.